Monday, October 16, 2017

"No Mom"

My kids were chatterboxes today. This seems to be the usual Monday pattern. They just can't seem to keep their mouths shut in my room. They all say they know when they're supposed to be quiet, but for whatever reason, they don't do it. It's super frustrating. The worst part is, they don't get that it's being disrespectful towards me. Or they do get it, but they don't care. Or maybe today was just a crabby day and tomorrow will be better.

During Daily 5 time, a few of them picked Read to Someone since we don't have spelling or handwriting (it's a short week because of MEA). One of the books they read is called No David and is about a boy who keeps getting into trouble. All the words in the book are from the adult/teacher chastising David until the very end when he does something good. They've read that book hundreds of times and might even have it memorized. To mix things up today, they decided to switch "David" for "Mom".  Boy, that made the story silly.  I'm sure they pictured their mothers sticking gum in their hair or shoving in the lunch line or digging up plants they weren't supposed to... "No running, Mom." "Clean up your mess, Mom." Lots of giggling from that corner of the room.

Mrs. L (my sub) visited today. She didn't stay as long as I thought she would, it was maybe a half an hour? My students wrote a 'Welcome' sign on the board and had everyone (me too) write their names up there. She and I went over a few things, but she's taught in a small Lutheran school before, so she didn't need too much going over. She had brought her baby along, and the kids couldn't keep their eyes off her (she was in a front pouch backpack thing on Mrs. L).

After school I printed a bunch of stuff for next week. I still have more to do, but I had to leave to run errands. I did get my errands run, one of which included putting money on a prepaid international card so I don't have to bring my debit/credit cards along. I snuck in right before closing time!

No comments:

Post a Comment