Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Late Start

Boy, these late starts make everything crazy! The first day of the week is always loud and chatty, but today was even more so because of the snow on Monday and our late start. Oh, and it's a new quarter! I totally forgot to finish the seating charts I'd started to come up with, but thankfully they were far enough along I could write them up on the board without too much thinking. We did devotions, BINGO prizes, had a few rounds, and then it was lunch time. Not much time in a morning that starts at 10:30!

Our cook couldn't get out of her driveway this morning, so she was late getting to school, which pushed our lunchtime back by 15 minutes. And then the oven wouldn't start, so she had to go to plan B: ham sandwiches. It took FOREVER for classes to go through the line. We ended up having an extra long noon recess, starting class at 1:00. The 7-8th graders were terrible today. Hard to focus, whispering to each other, no respect during bells, couldn't keep their hands to themselves. Grr... I was about ready to pull my hair out. But I know tomorrow will be better.

The 5-6th graders were crazy when they got back too. I had them put their heads on their desks for about a minute and they were much calmer after that. We got through the whole Moon Phases lesson I'd wanted to teach. There was no time for recess though, but only a few of them complained.

Two of my girls and one 4th grade girl are starting a cheer squad for our home basketball tournament in February. They asked after the student council meeting. I said sure, as long as they do everything. They typed up a permission slip and parent information (copying/editing a form I made in past years), got it approved by Mr. E and me, and passed them out to potential cheerleaders. They also wanted me to message their parents so their parents would know this was an actual thing, not just something the girls were making up. Good idea. Their plan is to have practice on Thursdays, but not this Thursday because that would be too soon. I hope it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment