Monday, February 26, 2018

Mega Monday

Whew, this day... Overall good, but very full.

It started this morning with a terrifying school nightmare. I was in Fulda getting ready to leave to teach in Courtland, gathering my things up, chatting with the family. In my head my plan was to leave Fulda at 7:30 to get to school on time, but suddenly I remembered that it takes almost two hours to get to school from there! I would be late to school! I needed to leave earlier! Except it was already 7:30!!! Ahhh!!! In my dream I called my principal and explained what had happened. He was super mad. When I asked if he could take over my class for me until I could get there, he said no, we'd have to hire a sub for a few hours. I asked if I should email sub plans to him (already scrambling in my head what I was going to teach that morning and if the sub would be able to handle it), but Mr. E said no the sub would call me and I could explain it to him over the phone. So I hung up and worked on gathering up my stuff again (it was already 8:30 at this point). My mom told me to just take a personal day and stay home, but I wouldn't. I kept looking around for my snow boots. They had just been on the rug! But there were all sorts of middle school kids rushing around cleaning/organizing the house and they had moved my boots somewhere else where I couldn't find them.  I woke up in total panic. Yikes!!!

Then over breakfast I read some picture books I need for lessons this week, which calmed me down and perked me up. Books: they cure what ails you!

At school my students reminded me that today was the day I said we could do our class prize. Shoot, I forgot all about that. I had some really great lessons planned for this morning! Our prize was to watch the movie Wonder, a movie I've heard is really great, but haven't seen yet (the book was really good). I pointed out to the class that maybe we should watch the movie at the end of the week in March so they have more time to read pages for our Popping Party. We are still way behind our goal. However, they're confident that they can make their goal in two more days, so they almost unanimously voted to watch the movie today. I kind of hope we don't make our goal this year. Ha. No, I shouldn't have a bad attitude just because they picked the opposite of what I wanted.

After school, basically the whole class went over to church to bake our egg bakes for this week's Lenten service (my class is hosting). I thought it would take at least two hours to get everything done. Boy was I surprised when we finished mixing everything together after only 30 minutes! Great teamwork! Of course, it took until 5:30 to get all the pans baked, so I still didn't get to go home early. It's very handy there's snow on the ground; we were able to cool the pans in the snow before we put them in the fridge. We'll reheat them in big roasters on Wednesday.

One thing down, only a bazillion more to go! Tomorrow after school is the first ICY event (what we call our youth group at Immanuel). We're doing games and snacks at church with a little devotion. Not sure how many will come. One for sure. Aside from that, who knows? This coming Sunday is a tubing day at Mt. Kato in Mankato for the Redeemer and ILS kids. I've been scrambling to put the word out to ILS families since the date changed and I never got new information (turns out we were supposed to use the old information but just change the date, oops). One parent messaged me asking why the ICY isn't going to pay for everyone because there is money in the group's account. I said I didn't have access to the checking account yet. Then the parent tried to convince me that I should get access and pay the fees because that's what the money in the account has been used for in the past. I chose to not respond at that point. If I would've had a little more notice, sure, I would've set something up in that regard, or had ICY pay a part of the cost ($18). But since I've never seen the checkbook and just got started as youth leader, I'm going to wait a bit before I go spending all the money in the account. Sigh.

So, the rest of this week will be busy with youth group, Lenten supper/services, staff meeting, getting ready for the Fine Arts Fair and our field trip next week. I could use prayers for patience and good sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment