Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Family Write Night

Whew! Another whirlwind day!

Our sewing club grandma called to set up sewing club for today. We had a lab to do that I didn't think would take super long, so I told her she could come. The only thing is our lab ended up taking longer than expected... and there was only 15 minutes for sewing club. And a bunch of the girls asked if they had to go to it (meaning they wanted recess). I felt bad having our leader come all this way for 15 minutes and not that many girls, so I made a few of them do it anyway. Since she showed up before 2pm, she made the rounds to other classrooms, read a book to the kindergartners, sat in on 7-8th grade art, etc. so her time wasn't wasted.

The 6th grade girls have been playing music over the speakers at recess. One of the 5th graders gets irritated when they do that because he likes it to be quiet when he plays basketball. Coming in from recess, he complained about the music saying, "It's all terrible old music, like from the 90s. You don't even play any good music." I joked with him, "Well, it's all my music I put on there, so of course it's old!" Then a different 5th grader stood up for me, saying to his classmate, "You don't even know what good music is! You have to be, like, Miss H's age before you even know good music." Apparently his dad told him that you have to be older before you know what good music is!!!

After school, some of my kids stayed to help set up for Family Write Night. They had a ton of good ideas! One was to hang streamers from the doors to my room and around the kitchen counter to make it more festive. Another was to have the sharing chair out so writers could share throughout the night. They set up tables, put up signs, sorted candy, got chairs out, organized the games, moved desks... everything was in place with a half an hour to spare. They did their math too and wrote lots of words for their NaNos. Write Night was a success (it ended a little early since a lot of people came right away). Everyone loved the new pens I bought last night... we used them to make comics/graphic novels. We had 48 people come and only 3 pizzas left over. Now I'm headed home; I can make my kiddos clean up in the morning. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment