Monday, November 12, 2018

Veterans Day

Oh what a day! Mondays are always crazy, and today was no exception.

Nicollet hosted a Veterans Day program, which our 5-8th grade planned to do, except one of the girls in my class didn't get home from a hunting weekend in time to come to school today. I had to message her mom to find out if she was coming to school today. Normally, it's just a little frustrating when parents don't tell me their child will be absent (mostly for lunch count purposes). But that parent was supposed to drive kids on our field trip today! I had no clue if she'd be coming or not. When the mom texted back that she didn't think her daughter would be at school for lunch, I messaged her about driving. I never got a response.

Lunchtime came, so I gave her a call, twice. No answer either time. Okaaay. On to plan B. We had two kids gone, so with the drivers we had we only needed room for one more kid. Thankfully, one of the grandmas came early to watch recess today and she knew another grandma planned to go to Veterans Day anyway, so she gave her a call to see if she would drive. The other grandma was free and happy to swing by school and pick kids up. Whew!

Then at Veterans Day, one of the color guard men walked when he wasn't supposed to and the officer giving orders had to call him back, saying his name a few times before he noticed. Of course, the kids thought this was funny. The color guard kept walking to the stage, and two of them kept walking to put the flags on the opposite side of the stage. The 5th grader sitting next to me didn't realize this was supposed to happen; he thought the guy forgot to stop again. So he got the giggles really bad... and they got worse when he realized no one else was laughing! And the kids from our school around him hissed at him to stop, which made more people turn and look... Finally he got it under control. Poor kid was really embarrassed. And then Mr. E came over to chew him out, but he chewed out the 7th grader sitting next to him! The rest of the program was uneventful though.

The mom who'd dropped the ball on driving came to pick up one of her other kids after school, and we learned that she'd gotten a new phone today and apparently the number hadn't actually switched over. She'd left her old phone at home, which is why she didn't get any of my calls or the second text. So. Problem solved. She felt really bad about it, but sometimes stuff like this happens, and we had enough drivers in the end. So, such is life.

Tomorrow is Family Write Night at school in my classroom. I thought I had all the supplies I needed, but now I remembered a whole bunch of things I need to get still. So, I'll  have to do another New Ulm run when I leave school. Hopefully it won't take too long. I have words to write and papers to correct!

I didn't get much correcting done this weekend. I helped my friend move Friday night, walked with Mrs. B Saturday morning, helped my moving friend pick up things for her new apartment afterwards, ran errands, had Spanish Club, hosted a youth group painting/games night at church (we were supposed to have a bonfire, but it was too cold). Sunday we sang/played bells at church. The 7-8th graders hosted a chili dinner as a fundraiser for their class trip. I got takeout and my farmer came over for dinner. Then we put the plastic up on my porch (yay! now you don't have to Dad) ;) and ran his errands in Mankato. A very good day, but not much time to correct papers!

No comments:

Post a Comment