Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Teaching with Technology

A few weeks ago I watched a webinar about how to flip a classroom. That means, the kids learn at their own pace by watching a video of the lesson at home/school and applying what they learned via project/etc at school where they can ask questions. I've always wanted to do something like that with my science and social studies classes, and ever since the webinar, the thought has rattled around my head. The problem is, it takes a lot of planning and prep, plus I have to teach myself how to use the programs to turn everything video/online. My mind puts up the roadblock that there are too many things to do to prep for it and I don't have time to do it (*ahem* I don't want to take the time to do it because it will cut into the little free time I have).

But I signed up for the email list anyway. 

This week they've sent short videos of quick how-to-apply-tech-teaching-in-your-classroom-to-change-the-way-you-teach-to-make-it-even-more-engaging-for-your-students. This is what I need. The 7-8th graders have been hot and cold all week. Super engaged in the lesson one day and super NOT the next. Tomorrow's history lesson is one of those times it could go either way. So. Perfect time to put it into action. 

Today's video topic was choice boards. Give kids an option in how they learn, what they learn, or how they show off their learned knowledge. Tomorrow the 7-8th graders dig deep into daily life of the medieval social classes in Europe. Pick a project works perfectly! Better yet, they gave me a choice board template I can share with my students so they can click the links and get started. I don't have to reinvent the wheel!!!


In the doc I share with my students, the links take them to the program websites where they create their projects based on what they learn. I love it! ...I hope it goes as well as I think it will...

No comments:

Post a Comment