Friday, March 17, 2023

Cowboy vs. Alien Day

I was going to be an alien today and wear all green (in light of St. Patrick's Day), but I couldn't figure out how to make alien eyeballs super fast, so I went with the good ol' cowgirl standby: jeans, plaid button up shirt, two braids (with green ponytail holders), boots, and a green bandana. School also had a ton of cowboys and girls. There were a few aliens though! 

We had a two hour late start today, just for New Ulm though, so it was a pretty lazy day. I had to be to school at the normal time to meet the Nicollet bus kids. I had exactly half my class at 8am. In preparation for them, I'd made a big list on the board of things they could do. They were pretty good about quietly working on stuff. I got a bunch of things done myself. A few kids figured out how to use their library cards to check out audiobooks, then listened while doing art. 

We tucked reading buddies into our worktime, and once the rest of the school arrived, we did devotions in Mr. E's room. After that my class had read-aloud (they fussed because I didn't give them snack time... guys, lunch is in 40min!) and two Daily 5 rounds (more fussing because my two Friday students didn't want to meet with me... "Can't we just meet on Monday?"). Lunch, recess, math, a little extra recess, then BINGO! 

That was a blast. We used leftover candy from basketball concessions and let there be 5-7 winners per card. I think everyone won at least one time. Granted, towards the end only raisins and cheetos were left. The last few kids rushed down to the prize table, went to snatch a prize, realized it was a box of raisins, and then drew their hands back wondering if they actually wanted to take them. 

We gave away the last prize just in time to send them all home on the bus. Whew! What a whirlwind week, complete with whirling winds! The wind is still howling outside. G and I are heading to Fulda later this afternoon. The roads look pretty good up to St. James; after that looks more snow covered. Pray for safe travels for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment