Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Tropical Tuesday

I wore a dollar bag day find to school today, a bright orange floral accordion-style shirt made in Hawaii (I originally thought it was a skirt). Pretty basic compared to others. I should've added my floppy sun hat and/or some flower leis. Oh well. Basic is okay. 

Some kids wore swimsuits or swimsuit coverups over their clothes. A few others were in tank tops, shorts, and flip flops. My class of complainers commented we picked the worst day ever to have all-school outdoor recess/snow sculpture making. Well, they were warned to bring winter gear. 

My second day of super keen observance went pretty well again. Things were a little less tense, except for the group playing basketball at recess. Ugh. They love to shove each other. The hard part is I can't tell if it's an accident or on purpose. So a few kids had to run laps. But probably more should've. 

Mr. E and I met with a set of parents after school to talk about Friday's incident. It went well. It was nice to have had two good days at school to report about. We left the meeting feeling positive about our plan moving forward. 

The big drama of the day was in setting up the gym for family day tomorrow. We have over 160 visitors joining us for chapel, lunch, and entertainment. Lots of tables to set up! Mr. E thought a parent was coming at 1pm with a pickup to truck tables and chairs over from church. So I switched my whole class schedule with the 7-8th graders around so we would be free to help. And we cancelled PE. She didn't show up until 2pm, right when we were supposed to have outdoor recess. Great. Up until that point we made good progress setting up the tables and chairs we did have at school. But they were all ready for recess at 2:00.

So they got bucky when we made them help unload. "I already helped enough. Make someone else do it!" If they would all chip in and do it without complaining, they'd be done in no time! One 8th grader flat out refused to help anymore, both to me and to Mr. E. Whew, rarely have I seen Mr. E that mad. His parents got a call after school. 

Spring fever is definitely going around. Let's pray the weather gets nicer so we can go outside more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment