Turns out you're supposed to store beets somewhere humid. I left mine on the counter, so they lost a lot of moisture and got pretty shriveled. I figured you could do the same thing to rehydrate them as you do with cucumbers, and I cut the tops and bottoms off and put them in some ice water in the fridge for a few hours.
Well, a few hours turned into a few days before I finally got to them. 😅 However they did rehydrate well!
I steamed them for about half an hour and then rubbed the skins off. It was supposed to be an easy peeling process, but I didn't find it to be easy and quick.
I chopped these small ones up for pressure canning. The gigantic beats will be blanched and cut up for freeze drying. Or shredded for the freezer.
Here are my four pints of beets about to go in the pressure canner.
I'm left with one mega, semi shriveled beet I'm not sure what to do with. Will it rehydrate? Or is it too big?




No comments:
Post a Comment