Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Quest: From the Box Brownies

I love the texture of brownies baked from a box. Horrible for the from-scratch-baker, I know. I've been searching for a scratch recipe for a while and a 4Her had one that came pretty close. Of course I saved the recipe!


It was so tempting to change the recipe... Less sugar, fresh milled flour, etc. But for the first time trying it, I figured I should stay as true as I could. 

I did substitute duck eggs for chicken eggs. 😜

They came together fairly quickly. Not sure about the bake time. I set a timer on the early side and ended up adding minutes until I got to the full bake time the recipe said. 

Cutting them up sure looked like the gooey box mix. 

They tasted great. Still not perfect, but that could be my error. I think I either over stirred or overbaked them. Or both. It's a little strange because the bottom of the brownies has a cake like texture, which makes me think over stirred or overbaked. But the top of the center pieces are verrrry gooey, like it's under baked. So who knows about that. It reminded me a little of chocolate lava cake. The recipe does call for lots of butter and melted chocolate chips, so I wonder if it's meant to be underdone. 

Will I make them again? Yes. Will I tweak it more than I already have? Quite possibly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment