Thursday, January 21, 2016

Medieval Life

The 7th graders started a history unit on the Middle Ages.  Their current assignment is to do research about a particular class of people in the feudal system and present it to the class in some way/shape/form.  Most immediately jumped to powerpoint, but I'm sick of them doing powerpoints only, so I said I'd give extra credit if they picked something besides a powerpoint to present their findings.  So far, one girl is writing a skit and two boys are making a comic strip.  The third group is sticking with powerpoint. 


My 5th and 6th graders ate hardtack in history today.  I had baked it last week and let it sit on my counter to "cure."  It's nice and hard.  All day they were asking, "When do we get to eat that hardtack?"  It was in a container on my desk so all day it tantalized them.  I passed out the hard biscuit and we discussed life in Valley Forge in the middle of winter as they ate.  Then we watched a video about the Revolutionary War (it was pieced together video game footage with captions).  They thought it was pretty neat and asked lots of questions while we watched.  A lot wanted to know the name of the game so they could play it!


Tomorrow's the end of the quarter.  The two boys with the most late work have turned in all their assignments! Woohoo!  One boy stayed after school today to get his spelling done, but he finished pretty quickly.  Now all I need is to enter grades in the gradebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment