Monday, January 4, 2016

Into the Swing of Things

We started off 2016 two students down... with a sore throat/the flu.  Lovely.  I did get my flu shot over Christmas break, so hopefully we won't go down a teacher!


As much as I always complain break wasn't long enough, it was good to be back in school.  Everyone was super chatty (as is expected), but they did buckle down and get their work done.  I had everyone print a hard copy of their NaNos so we can start editing them tomorrow.  This took longer than expected, mostly because they couldn't remember their passwords and either got locked out or had to change them.  And some computers shut off randomly, also messing up my plan to have everyone print quickly.  But one way or another we got it figured out.


Last night I got back to my apartment and unpacked my stuff, hoping to get a good night's sleep so I'd be fresh for the first day back.  I turned my heat up to a comfortable temperature, but an hour later I was still freezing.  When I looked at the thermostat, the dial hadn't moved; my apartment was still below 50 degrees!  But it had been running since I'd been home.  When I checked, I could only feel cool air coming out of the vents.  So I called the apartment after-hours-emergency number and the guy said he'd be there as soon as he could... he was coming from past Madelia, so it wasn't going to be all that soon.  By the time he got to my apartment, it was about 11:20pm and I was falling asleep in my chair.  I didn't even hear him knocking on my door!  He had to call my phone because I wasn't answering.  But he did get it fixed (shortly after midnight).  So I did get about six hours of sleep.  It's been working fine since then; let's hope it stays that way!


I had a surprise when I walked into my rom today, a pleasant one... the new Promethean board had been installed overnight!  None of the software has been downloaded onto my computer, but the board is there and it works.  So far, the biggest issues have been the glare on the board from the projector light and it's super sensitive and will sometimes enlarge my computer screen when someone brushes the board (even when it's off).


My kids were disappointed I didn't get more scarves for Christmas.  I only got two, bringing my grand total up to 36.  Today I wore the scarves I got from one of my students.  He didn't say anything about it, but his 3rd grade sister came up to me and said, "Miss H! You're wearing the scarves we gave you!!!" She was so excited. 


The funniest part of the day was with the 7th graders... (and slightly morbid too) Two of the boys made a parody of the Frozen song "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" titled "Do You Want to Hide a Body?"  It started out as just random singing in their study hall, but once they got going they kept coming up with more and more lyrics until they had a pretty big chunk of the song.  There was even some revising going on!  Here's their lyrics:


Do you want to hide a body?
And maybe throw it in the lake?
Come on let's shove it out the door,
the stench is no more,
it's time to go away!
We're going into hiding...
Let's not get caught,
what else are we going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment