Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Street Cred

My short-lived and vastly unimpressive basketball career was discussed in class today.  The subject first came up because the "Cutties" (aka- Lakefield basketball tournament) is in two weeks.  One kid asked if I'd ever been to Cutties... yes I played basketball there.  The next question, of course, was, "were you any good?"  Ha! Nope. Not at all.  At first, they didn't believe me.  So I spouted some of my stats: I never made a basket my entire career and I passed the ball to a teammate nearly as soon as I got it.  The one time I fouled someone was totally on accident.   My students were suitably shocked.  Of course, now that it doesn't matter I've improved. 


Afternoon recess today: a 6th grader passes me the ball, "Miss H, give it a shot!  Just one try!"  So with everyone's eyes on me, I took position at the free-throw line, carefully aimed, and... SWISHED IT!  Woohoo!  I definitely gained some street cred in my students' eyes.  A bunch came and congratulated me, "Miss H! You're one for one now! That's great!"


The other funny thing of the day was in social studies.  Today's topic: The Start of the American Revolution.  We watched a few School House Rock videos, "No More Kings" and "The Shot Heard Round the World."  After the first one, they clapped.  I heard some murmur, "that was actually pretty good!" (I have a few kids who aren't School House Rock fans... inconceivable I know).  Partway through the second one, I scanned the room and saw one 5th grade boy bobbing his head in time to the music.  He was really getting into it!  It was super cute so my face cracked a smile... and one of his classmates noticed and gave him a look, like "what are you doing?," so he stopped. 


After school plans: National Lutheran Schools Week planning meeting and watching more basketball games!  Then home to read a book or write thank-you notes... or take down my Christmas tree...

No comments:

Post a Comment