Friday, January 29, 2016

Charades and Mystery Class

For some reason, my computer decided to shut off the sound.  And the only way to turn it back on again is with a password... which I don't have... which the IT guys hoard and never give out to anyone.  So now I have to wait for them to get back to me... which may be a while. 


No sound on the computer meant I couldn't have the class listen to the audio book we started on Wednesday.  Thankfully, I have a hard copy I borrowed from the Bookmobile, just in case.  It also meant we couldn't do a "listen to the song and write the story that goes with it" writing activity I wanted to do.  So we played Charades instead.  Mrs. E had gone through her game cabinet at home and gave my class a box of games to look through.  We got a bunch of good ones! 


Charades was one of those games.  A lot of the slips were hard to act out.  The toughest one was "Mind your Ps and Qs" and "Toy Story".  The easiest ones were "YMCA" and "Rock-a-bye Baby".


This afternoon, we only had an hour of class since the girls play basketball in Lakefield at 3:00.  I had the 7th graders for the hour.  We were supposed to take a science test, but we did Mystery Class instead.  This project goes from February to March.  Students record sunrise and sunset times of 10 mystery locations around the globe plus our local sunrise/sunset and find each photoperiod.  After tracking this data for a few weeks, we can predict which longitude line the locations are depending on whether the amount of sunlight increases or decreases.  For today, we just recorded data in our charts and on our graphs.  The 5th graders have never done MC before, so I had them stay in my room for their computer time so the 7th graders and I could teach them how to do it.  I think they grasped the instructions fairly well!  None of them complained that it was super hard or confusing... always a good sign.


Now, all my students are gone, most of my papers are corrected, and I can pack up and head down to the basketball games!  Woohoo! Go Braves!

No comments:

Post a Comment