Tuesday, January 17, 2017

2 hours late

School was two hours late today. Hooray! I had all these big plans for my two extra hours at home... read a book, do dishes, correct papers... yeah, none of those things happened. I slept in.  But I'm still feeling kinda crummy, so I probably needed it.

The delay made our whole day speed by. We did get the FAST reading test in like I wanted to, but no more students presented their powerpoints. Their scores were pretty good. I'm not entirely sure what is 'good' compared to 'bad' score-wise, but 80 % of the class improved, some more than I was expecting!  The two that had a decrease in score were students who are good readers and scored well in the Fall, so I'm not sure what happened there.  There are lots of graphs to look at and compare; I'm not sure where to start! I've played around with them a little bit.  Sometime in February, the teacher from Nicollet who helped us get started with FAST will visit again and give us some tips on using the FAST data.

Our 5/6th grade science lab today involved mixing polymers (liquid starch and glue). Mixing them together caused a change in their properties resulting in something that acted kind of like a bouncy ball!  They said it was their favorite lab so far!  The next lab in the book will probably be their least favorite... the saliva-chewing-bread lab.  Last time we did it, a few kids got so grossed out they almost puked! I'm thinking I'll send it home for extra credit if anyone wants to do it, and not have it be a lab we do in class...

No comments:

Post a Comment