Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Dictionary

My garage is being stupid. Last night, it wouldn't go closed because the little light sensor had come loose from the wall. I had to move it around so the sensor wouldn't go off and the door would close.  After about 10 minutes of trying (in the cold!) I finally got it shut.  This morning, it opened without a hitch, but closing it took some doing.  Thankfully, it didn't take as long as last night.  Still, it was annoying. The door would get 98% of the way closed and then pop back up.  UGH!  I called and left a message for maintenance to fix it, but it was so close to 7:30am (the deadline for getting maintenance requests in) that I wasn't sure if it would get fixed today.  This afternoon I got a call from the maintenance man who said he couldn't get into my garage without the opener.  So it didn't get fixed today; I have to leave my opener in my porch tomorrow and then he'll fix it.  Sigh.  Oh well. Maybe it will stay in a good spot tonight and tomorrow and I won't have to fuss with it.

Here's a funny story from today: The 6th grade boys like to play hangman when they're finished with their spelling for the day.  They like using basketball players' names, which I'm not the biggest fan of.  I mean, it's getting them better at spelling proper nouns, but not regular words.  So today I asked them to avoid using proper nouns for hangman.  Of course they didn't want to; basketball players are more fun!  I suggested picking words at random from the dictionary.  One of the boys bragged that he already knew how to spell all the words in there.  Oh really??? Let's just see about that.

So I flipped the book open and gave him a word.  I can't remember what the word was, but he spelled it right.  And the next word too.  The third word he was off by one letter and the fourth he didn't even try.  But that gave them an idea for a new game.  Now they take turns spelling words randomly from the dictionary, getting a point for each word they spell correctly.  Some of the girls tried it too; the hardest part is pronouncing the word!

Gotta keep this short: we have a PTL meeting in five minutes and I need to make some copies quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment