Friday, January 27, 2017

Chinese

The 5-8th graders had an early out at 1:30 today because of the Lakefield Tournament.  That means I get an early out too!  Just a few minutes ago, I was headed to the office to copy the science fair information packet when a paper delivery guy stopped me to sign for the paper he was dropping off.  First he asked me if I was Chinese. When I said no, he said, "Oh, you look a little Chinese." Then he wanted to know if I was a student.  Nope, I'm a teacher.  He was very shocked and then asked what age I was... 26, almost 27.  Wow! That blew him out of the water.  Anyway, I signed what he needed and we chatted a bit more.  He was very nice.

The 7th and 8th graders had two guests today... New Ulm didn't have school, so a student's older brother and sister both came to school with the 7/8th graders for the day.  Both were former students of mine so it was kind of neat to have them around again.  One of them watered my plants and the other helped correct spelling books.

We were supposed to have a guest speaker from Korea today, but there was some miscommunication.  The student emailed me last week about coming this Friday, but I didn't email her back because I was waiting to hear if we'd need to leave early for the tournament. Then when I found out about the tournament, I never emailed her to say an official yes.  Oops.  She was still waiting to hear from me and wasn't ready to present today and didn't have a ride out here.  Man! I would've emailed her sooner this week, but with the snow day I didn't have internet.  I should learn to always err on the side of caution.  It's turning out okay after all though; the two other Korean students who hadn't gotten back to me at first now suddenly emailed me today asking if they could still come and speak.  So next week Friday two of them are coming and the third I am working on scheduling sometime for the 5th and 6th graders.  Whew!

Well, I'm going to get out of here... If I hustle, I can make it to some basketball down in Lakefield. Or maybe I'll just head to Truman and see what my farmer is up to.  He is supposed to have a snowmobile race tomorrow in Fairmont, but I haven't heard much about that, so we'll see if that's still on the agenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment