Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Remembering

It's tough to remember everything coming back from Christmas break.  I forgot to take church attendance three times this morning.  Thankfully, my kiddos were on top of that and reminded me. But some of them, when it came time to say when they went to church, couldn't remember which days they had gone! It always discourages me that they don't go to church more.  One kid blatantly said, "Miss H, I never go to church Christmas morning. It's a time to spend with your family, not be at church."  Uhhh... whatever happened to the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place???

The other thing we had trouble remembering was the finishing around our outside door.  One of the 6th graders thought for sure we had new wood strips put around the outside.  I'm pretty sure it's still the same.  Or at least, if it had been changed, Mr. E would've told me or something.  But in the dark (when the kid first noticed), it sure looked new!

When I first came to school in the morning, I found a bunch of notes written on the board from former students.  My guess is they came to use the gym over break and decided to leave little notes.  Most of them were "[student] was here!" or just names.  But one girl wrote, "Love you Miss H!" The funny thing is, I only taught her science and social studies in 7th and 8th grade. Anyway, it's nice she loves me!

The 7th and 8th graders had a lab today.  It took longer than the half an hour I had planned, so we cancelled bells.  Probably not the smartest idea since we play for church two Sundays from now.  Maybe I'll have them practice tomorrow... or at least put their music in folders... or maybe I'll do that when I get to school tomorrow... hmm... we'll see what time I actually get here.

I did pretty good today, getting to school early. I had a ton of things to get ready/print, and I needed to pick up some of the props from church, so I wanted to leave my apartment sooner than usual.  But as I cut apart my bagel for breakfast, the butter knife slipped and sliced my finger. It must've been in just the right spot, because it wouldn't stop bleeding.  Thankfully, I had some gauze in my medicine cabinet and I one-handedly wrapped it up.  It's been weird avoiding use of that hand today... and it's weird typing with a band-aid on one finger!  I just took the band-aid off and it looks like it's closed up pretty good, so now it'll be more of a nuisance than anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment