Monday, January 30, 2017

Chilly

I think I need to bring a blanket to school to keep behind my desk... I'm cold.  During the day I'm usually fine; I don't sit down for long periods of time and my students generate a lot of body heat! But after they're gone and I do my planning, the room can get a bit chilly.  Of course, I could turn the heat up, but sometimes even when it's above 70 in here I still get cold sitting at my desk.  Yep, I think a blanket is the way to go.  I have many to choose from at home; I just need to remember to bring one!

Speaking of remembering, I keep forgetting to bring one of the 5th grader's NaNos back to school. She had printed it for me to read before break, but I forgot it in my apartment and never read it.  Now we've started editing them.  I was supposed to bring it because somehow her original word document got deleted and transferring the words from the NaNo website to Microsoft Word messed up her story a little; she wants to see what words she had before Christmas break.  I wrote myself a note today, so hopefully I'll remember!

The school nurse stopped in today to talk about February's Fruit and Vegetable Challenge.  This year it will be 3rd vs. 5th and 4th vs. 6th.  My class is sure they will dominate the 3rd and 4th graders.  I'm slightly skeptical (the 5th graders don't seem to eat many fruits and veggies), but maybe they'll pull it off!  We're basing the scores on an average for the week/month.  I have the charts, rules, and February menu taped up to the side door where everyone can see it.

We were supposed to do BINGO prizes today, but I never got around to it.  Most of my kiddos haven't filled out their BINGO sheets or their Reading Notebooks. I think only one girl is ready.  I cleaned off the lab table today and set the prizes out so I don't forget to make time for that tomorrow.
The 7th and 8th graders convinced me to push their Asia map test off until Thursday.  It was supposed to be tomorrow.  It didn't take all that much convincing; we still have one more Asia powerpoint to go through.  It was also a good incentive for them to behave in class today!  Everyone was so attentive!

This weekend I ended up going to the basketball games Friday night.  Both the boys and girls won!  I'm glad I went; it was fun to watch them play.  Then I surprised my family in Fulda showing up for supper.  Saturday morning I headed to Truman.  My farmer and his dad both raced in the Ice Kahana in Fairmont in the vintage snowmobile class... the Kahana is kind of like a twisty race course. You can drive through it as many times as you like (you have to pay for each time you do it) and you try to have the fastest score.  There weren't that many people in the vintage classes.  Most of the snowmobiles were newer.  A ton of little kids were racing on their mini snowmobiles!  They reminded me of beetles for some reason, though I think the machines are called 'kitties'.  There's a four-wheeler class too; they race with studded wheels and they go super fast.  It was pretty windy, but I stayed mostly warm in my heavy boots and coverall (and heat packs!).  By midafternoon we were done racing... two first places!  On Sunday afternoon, my farmer and I went rollerskating in Estherville.  I'm only a little sore today, but I have a feeling I'll be even worse tomorrow... Still, it was very fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment