Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Good Hearing

My kiddos' 3-4th grade teacher is hard of hearing. They're not used to having a teacher who hears their muttered and whispered comments. We started science class by watching a video. We were going to work on a worksheet after the video, so I passed one to a 5th grader on the end of her pod then went to shut off the lights before passing the rest out. The girl next in line to get a worksheet whispered to her friend, "How come you got one and I didn't?" 

I whispered back, "Because you're getting one after I shut the lights off." And by that time I had shut off the lights and handed her a paper. She startled and said, "Wow, you could hear me? Your hearing is really good!" 

We had a great science class today. It was our second day learning about space and they had a ton of questions. Our main topic/tangent was on the seasons and how the amount of daylight fluctuates according to times of the year. We looked up sunrise and sunset times and recorded how many hours of sun there are on the first day of spring, summer, fall, and winter. They were shocked at the difference! For those curious, in 2021 Spring- 12h13min, Summer- 15h34min, Fall- 12h12m, Winter- 8h54m.

I always forget how much they learn about space in my class. Right now they don't know about galaxies, that the sun is a star, how big the universe really is (does anyone comprehend that besides God?). Their questions remind me of past students who literally "can't even" because their minds are blown by the vast space of space! I can't wait. 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment