Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Fire Safety Day

In the course of our fire drills the past three days, we've learned my class can get out of our classroom quickly in the event of a fire. And back in. 

Today was cold and windy, and they're not in the habit of bringing coats, so they all huddled together for warmth. When Mr. E gave the all-clear, we were the first group back inside. It was a good thing too because my phone was ringing. Normally, I let the phone ring since it's not usually for me, but I knew no one else was back in the building yet, so I answered. Turns out, it was the official fire alarm people! No one had let them know it was a test, and our fire chief wasn't answering, so they called the school to see if there was actually a fire! Oops! 

I put my kids to work and went to find Mr. E/the fire chief. I ran into our fire chief first. Turns out, our not calling was a test from him to them because last year the call didn't go through! He wanted to make sure that chain of command worked. Whew!

The rest of the day passed quickly. 5-6th graders prepped characters some more. 7-8th graders had the first science test of the year. A lot of them said they failed it... I thought they knew the content pretty good, but some of the things they asked me about while taking the test, yikes, maybe they did. 😧 Not sure if I'll have time to correct them tonight.

5-6th graders did double science/social today. We did MN history first and then STEM, making paper airplanes. The boys have been on an airplane kick, so I thought we'd put it to good use. How many pennies can your airplane hold? The goal was to have the plane fly 8ft with at least two pennies attached. We turned it into a personal challenge: can you add more pennies or adjust the coins' positions to make the plane go farther? We found that yes, the placement of the pennies can either help or harm the distance it can fly. That lab was a lot of their highs for the day. Most of the lows were that we didn't get an afternoon recess.

No comments:

Post a Comment