Friday, November 11, 2022

Rocket Launch

One of my 6th grade building boys brought a bottle rocket, vinegar, and baking soda to school to shoot off at recess. Too bad it's not a nicer day: below freezing, cold, and windy. Not pleasant to be outside. Still, I said we could go out for afternoon recess. (I figured the 7-8th graders would freak out if I made them go outside for noon recess). 

The rocket launch was a success, although the second one didn't go off as quickly and took some help from the other sixth grade boy. Vinegar sprayed all over his shoes so we could smell him from a mile away the rest of the day. After shooting off the rocket, we came back inside out of the wind. I had hoped we could join the younger kids in the gym, except by the time we got inside, it was only kindergarten and Mrs. E likes it to be just her class. Bummer. We ended up doing indoor recess with a plan to go out earlier in the afternoon next Friday. Although, come to think of it, we are off the next two Fridays... one is the day after Parent Teacher Conferences and the following week is Thanksgiving break!

Speaking of break, I need a break to catch up on my NaNo. I am about 7,500 words behind. Yikes. I had everything set up to write this morning and then, standing in my kitchen, I noticed my slipper felt wet. On closer inspection, the kitchen rug was soaked and there was a big puddle of water all over the floor. My dishwasher leaks. Ugh. So I shut the water under the sink off, cleaned up, and texted Habitat. On my way to school, I happened to glance down the stairs into the basement. Another puddle. It dripped down through the ceiling. Noooo!!! Thankfully, last night I had moved most of my boxes out of the way, so only 1.5 boxes had wet books. Most seem salvageable. 

Someone from Habitat is meeting me at my house at 4pm. I had planned to leave for Fulda straight from school, but I guess my plans have to change. Sigh. I wish it were for a better reason...

No comments:

Post a Comment