Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Chicks

I did a thing today...


Chicks were not in the immediate plans for the homestead, but someone at bible study this morning shared that Americana chicks were $1 at Bomgaars, on sale because they're getting their adult feathers. Ooo! Green egg layers! 

We planned to get a few chickens from my dad a little later this summer, but his green egg layers are old and not producing so much. That coupled with $1? It's a done deal. 

I went down an internet rabbit hole searching for diy chick/duck food. Man, there are a lot of ingredients to source. That's a someday project. So, I decided to look locally, preferably for organic feed. Might be a long shot in Mankato. 

Two places were dead ends. Believe it or not, Bomgaars had some organic, non-medicated, non GMO, etc. chick starter! And of course the chicks. I brought three home and let them chill in their travel box until I got their home set up.

They're in the garage with a heat lamp, not sure if that's necessary in this weather. I'll keep an eye on it. I also put some mesh fencing around the outside to keep the chicks in their pool and Mopsy out of the chick area. I'm not sure how she would react to them, but I don't want her to have an easy snack. 

Here they are, lovin' their new home! Beaks are dipped (sometimes they need help finding water, so you dip their beaks in to give them a taste). We gave them starter feed after supper, dipped their beaks in their food dish, and when we left they were happily chowing down.

Our ducks come next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment