Thursday, August 15, 2024

Last Fair of the Year

The Murray county fair is this week. It's usually one of the last fairs before the State Fair, and it's my last fair of judging this year. 

G came with me to Fulda Sunday afternoon. On Monday, we went with my dad to pick up our butchered beef and dropped off my sister's portion at her house (and played with my nieces a bit... sticker time and reading books!). G and I brought lunch to my mom at her work in Slayton and went for a walk to kill time before I needed to show up for judging. Then G went home to help Dad and I judged!

My classes were a random assortment of not-as-popular categories: citizenship, youth leadership, scrapbooking, home environment, safety, money management and consumer education, and creative writing. 

The largest category was creative writing. Here are some of my favorite entries: 




These entries ended up with purples. The champion entry was a super creative longer story written by a 7th grader. 

The second largest category I judged was home environment, a category that includes remodeling a home/room, refurbished furniture, and anything diy for home decor. The top two projects were a refinished vanity- this 7th grader had to match stain on small pieces of thin wood to fill in gaps-  and a remodeled Barbie house - the 3rd grader spent a few months this winter making her Barbie house more "big girl" by painting rooms and furniture, 'installing' carpet in the bedrooms, and adding mini shelves and decorations to the walls. It was super cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment