Thursday, March 27, 2014

Floor Hockey

I got stuck being goalie for our big game vs. the 7th and 8th graders.  No one else wanted to do it, so I stepped up and said I'd do it.  I was hoping someone would switch with me in the second half, but no one did.  I didn't ask anyone to do it either.  It's not a big deal.  I didn't have to run around at all and no one on my team got mad/upset I let the balls go in the goal. 


The game started out pretty evenly matched.  The students' strategy was to have the 7th graders play us the first half (minus one really good kid) and have the 8th graders play the second half.  We held our own the first half.  They only scored on us once!  And we made our one goal in the first half.  The second half... well, we would've done better if we'd have done some training beforehand. 


The end score was Teachers: 1, Students 7.  Yeah.  My knees were getting bruised from kneeling on the hard gym floor.  One ball bounced off my head and went into the goal (a foam ball, so no injuries).  Two times another teacher was trying to block the ball from going in but she stood in front of the goal so I couldn't see the ball.  And that's when they took their shot. 


It was amazing how many students were cheering for us!  I'd say over half the school wanted the teachers to win.  They even made signs.  Two were dedicated solely to Ms. J.  One of the 5th grade girls made a sign with both Ms. J and my name on it and she cut it in half after the game so we could take our parts home.  How sweet!


Something totally unrelated to floor hockey... We're studying prepositional phrases being used as adjectives/adverbs.  On one of our English worksheets this week, an answer choice was "with goat cheese".  For some reason, it reminded me of my family. (Didn't we have some sort of joke or something about goat cheese?)  Regardless, it's kept me grinning the past two days.  The 5th graders thought it was hilarious too.  They tried filling it in the other blanks with interesting results:


"My brother asked a question... with goat cheese."
"We listened for the honk... with goat cheese."
"He has painted many homes... with goat cheese."
"The shadow was an owl... with goat cheese."
"David has finished his work... with goat cheese."
"The salad was roasted beets... with goat cheese."


Can you figure out which sentence goes with the phrase???

No comments:

Post a Comment