Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lighting Strikes!

The 7th and 8th graders are learning all about weather!  I'm getting to the end of their science book, so I've been stretching out the topic a lot.  Their book only spends one lesson on thunderstorms, tornadoes, and hurricanes.  I'm splitting them up into separate days.  And I ended up taking a second day to talk about lightning safety.  Back in college, one of my classmates and I created a unit plan on summer safety.  Lightning and Tornado safety were featured on two of the days.  We had found a few YouTube videos about lightning safety, so I showed those to the class today.  One was all about people who had been struck by lightning and survived.  The other was a video made by two high school students about staying safe in a lightning storm (it was hilarious).  You can watch it here.  I was worried the 7th and 8th graders would think it was lame and wouldn't pay attention... I had nothing to worry about.  Most of them have been paying more attention in class recently; I think it's because what we're learning is more relevant (or they can see the connection to their lives right now).


The 5th grade boys survived their chat with the nurse.  She spent 45 minutes teaching them about puberty.  This year is the first time they saw both the boy and girl videos.  Meanwhile, the two 5th grade girls and I hung out in the gym for a 45 minute recess.  Plus they had PE today.  Triple recess!  It'll even out though; the girls have their class next Friday.  And the girl talk always takes longer than the boy's.


Ms. J was gone for her state basketball tournament today.  The two of us usually get to talk for a bit before the students get here in the morning, so it was odd not starting the day that way.  The 5th graders were a bit goofy (especially the student who works with Ms. J), but they settled down after a while.  The 5th graders have been rock-stars when it comes to getting their work done this week!  It's only Wednesday and they are completely finished with their memory work, handwriting, and spelling for the week.  Good thing they're on a roll; we're taking our spelling test early this week since we have our science museum trip on Friday. 


I need to write another note home about not getting back in time for the buses on Friday.  I'm also in charge of dividing up chaperone groups.  We figure each chaperone will be with about 3 kids.  Some couples are chaperoning, so they'll probably get 5 kids between the two of them.  The other teachers are going to look over my groups tomorrow after school to see if any need switching.  So the question is... which kids do I want to spend the whole day with???

No comments:

Post a Comment