Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Birthday Business

Today was a fairly normal day... no surprises, nothing too fancy, and that's all right with me!  Lots of students wished me a happy birthday.  One of the sixth graders was surprised I was already 25; she was under the impression I was turning 24 today.


My students wrote a birthday greeting on the whiteboard and the 8th graders added some doodles to it.  Some of the girls made a card/poster thing for me during read aloud (they tried to get me to read longer, "it's your birthday! why can't we read extra today?").  I did get my brownies baked; they were a hit!  I had some extras left over I was going to give to the teachers, but I forgot and we didn't end up having skit practice after school.  I guess I'll have to take them home and eat them myself... bummer! ;)


During Daily 5, Mrs. B told me she was going to bring me some supper after school so I wouldn't have to cook!  She brought over wild rice soup, fresh baked bread, and some unbaked cookie dough so I can enjoy baking them myself.  The smell of the bread is making me hungry!  But this post is the last thing I need to do before I leave school, so I'll be able to eat it soon. 


Our lab table is a little cleaner than it has been.  I didn't have time to test out the science lab I had intended to do today, so we did Mystery Class instead.  Most groups are over half done.  I still have some stragglers who are quite a bit behind; they brought it home to work on today.  A few more piñatas are finished.  One is hanging on the ceiling and the other has just a little more tissue paper that needs attaching.


The ceiling is back to being colorful again!  It always looks bare when I take the snowflakes down, but now our 20 day balloon countdown is covering the ceiling.  Each balloon has an activity stuck inside it.  Tomorrow we'll pop the 20th balloon to find out what our special activity is for the next day, that way if they need to bring something special for it they can be prepared.  When they got to school, they tried to see what was in the balloons... they're translucent enough to see that something's in there... at first the 5th graders thought it was candy.  You'd think they'd know me better!  Pretty soon they looked closer and saw it was paper.  A few tried to read what was written on the paper... I asked them not to ruin the surprise.  Of course, some of them guessed what the activities might be, but I tried not to give anything away.  It's hard to believe the end of the school year is coming up this fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment