Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Mystery Class

We're nearing the end of Mystery Class, our detective search for 10 mystery locations around the globe.  Normally we do MC on Fridays, but since we missed last Friday because of Easter Break (and the due date is coming up soon!), I decided this afternoon was a Mystery Class kind of day.  That and I only had three more slides left on our lesson about the Great Depression/Dust Bowl.  So we finished those three up and spent the rest of class looking up clues about the classes.


Sometimes the Mystery Class coordinators send pictures in the email notifications about new clues.  I hadn't looked at the latest email too closely until today... and then I laughed!  It was the exact picture I had just added to the 8th graders' powerpoint about the Pacific Island Nations... Guam!  Here's the clue as the mystery class wrote it: "Although these look like goblets and are named like something on a coffee shop menu, don't try to drink from them. They are ancient structures and an important symbol of our indigenous culture. In fact, they are shown on the two-bit coins for our territory and for the islands north of us too."





In my research, I found them to be called "latte stones" and they were used to hold up houses...

How neat is that!  I wonder what the 8th graders will say when we get to this lesson...

No comments:

Post a Comment