Thursday, March 22, 2018

Flossing

Ooo, today has been a big day for 5th and 6th grade! 

Most exciting news first... the blue spring seat I bought at the beginning of the year went flat! It is made of heavy plastic and has a hole in the bottom so it can be inflated to the preferred firmness (like what's in a basketball). Yesterday we noticed how flat and squishy it was, this morning my kiddos pumped it up, and before morning devotions it was back to its saggy self. They found the hole though! Right at the top seam of the chair. 

My first plan was to call the company to see if they'd send a replacement. Their first thought was: duct tape. When I nixed that plan, they went with Plan B: hot glue. That actually could work... so during read aloud they glued the whole seam twice so it would be extra good. The moment of truth came at lunch time when they pumped the chair up again. It held!!! Excellent problem-solving skills!

After school I called the company anyway, just in case the hot glue doesn't work. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee policy, so they're sending us a replacement. And guess what... we don't have to send the broken spring back! Two spring seats for us! (At least, as long as the hot glue holds).

There's this dance move called "flossing" where you move your hands back and forth while moving your hips back and forth so it actually looks like you're flossing. My kids have been doing that move on and off for the past few months and I cannot figure out how to do that move! At the wedding this past weekend I tried and tried, but I couldn't get it. Today they taught me how it goes. Success!!! Then, at lunch, they taught the piano teacher and one of our recess watching helpers. Both thought my kids were going to show them how to floss their teeth! 

Our room has been quite fragrant today. Last night I fed Joe the last of his lettuce, which has seen better days. I threw the yucky bits in the garbage in my classroom. Looking back on it, I should've put it in the hallway garbage. When I got to school this morning, our room had the odd aroma of past-its-prime kale. When my students arrived, they thought a rat had died in the coatroom, stinking it up. They said it smelled like dirty diapers. I had them dump our garbage in the dumpster, hoping by removing the lettuce it would remove the smell. That worked pretty well, but my students were taking no chances! They tried the disinfectant spray, but the spray nozzle is broken. One girl had body spray in her backpack she sprayed in all the garbage cans to mask the smell. Whew, I can still smell it! They also turned the Sentsi on, but we had to put a new cube of wax in it since the old one didn't have much scent left. I don't think it smells like bad lettuce any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment