Friday, March 2, 2018

Popping Party

Our popping party at the end of the day was fun. Mr. E read a Dr. Seuss book to us while wearing antlers (Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose) and the kids ate popcorn, their popsicles, and drank their pop. I'd never heard the story before and it's quite interesting!

We were invited to the New Ulm High School spring play today. One of the girls at youth group told me we should go see it with all the students. She emailed me her theater teacher's email and told me I should contact the teacher to set things up. So I did. I'm not sure what this student all told Mrs. T, but she was under the impression that I was a director and wanted to collaborate on a theater project together.  Not really, but now that you mention it...

When I was younger, the Lutheran high school closest to us (45min away) did a project where they had the 3/4th graders from area Lutheran schools write stories which they then turned into skits. I was in 5/6th grade by this point, but my sister could be in the contest. I was so jealous! Anyway, if I remember right, her story was one of the whatever number they picked to put on, so my family went to the performance. It was so cool! And now that I'm a teacher, I would love to give my students that opportunity. Until now, no opportunities/high school theater teachers have presented themselves to me. I brought it up with Mrs. T and she said sure! Coincidentally, she teaches literature too...

They have an accent project coming up, so her students could take the stories we write and set them in exotic places where the characters would have an accent. How cool is that? I hope we get to go see them.

On another note, I had a funny handwriting paper this week. The rule is that you don't get to eat lunch on Friday until your handwriting is handed in. Otherwise I'd have students who'd never get theirs done. One girl is notorious for going until the last minute to finish hers. She got it in today, but here's what her border sheet looks like:
Normally their border sheet should be beautifully colored... she took the easy way out with paper and pencil. It was that note down in the left corner that saved her from losing points!

No comments:

Post a Comment