Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Whirlwind

Whew! Another whirlwind day!

We did something different for religion this morning. Last night I went to a Jewish Seder put on by Jews for Jesus. They had food on each table we could try as the speaker explained the traditions and parts of the Passover meal. It was amazing to see all the connections the Seder has to Jesus. I had leftover matzo, so I wrapped it up and stuck it in my purse to share with my students. So we went over the Jewish Passover meal and got to eat the unleavened bread. We even did the part where part of it is hidden and the children find it. Winner gets a prize!

The Landfill Pie activity with the 5th and 6th graders went well. They actually ate it afterwards. Some years, it looks too gross for students to stomach, so we end up tossing it in the trash... kind of ironic. I had them keep a tally of every time they threw something away from yesterday at 1:30 until today at 1:30. Most had between 20-60. I should've kept track of my own, but I forgot.

We watched a video about a guy who wore all the trash he generated for a month. Every time he would've thrown something away, he cleaned it and stuck it in a plastic bag suit he made. He did this for a month!

After the video we made our landfill pie. Each student got something to put in the pie, some type of food to represent the items that go into landfills. Once everything was in, I cut it up and slopped it on plates. A few ate their entire serving, a few declined eating any, and a few took a few bites and tossed it because it was too rich for them.

Tomorrow is the last day of the week before Easter break! Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment