Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Another Speaker

Our Australia speaker showed up today! I hadn't checked in with him since we scheduled this date about a month ago, so there was a small part of me that didn't know if he'd come or not. He came at noon (I thought I'd told him 12:30, but I guess not). He brought Vegemite with him and let the kids sample it while they ate lunch. Most thought it tasted disgusting. One 7th grader said he threw up after eating it. Our speaker said most people compare it to road tar. I thought it tasted like soy sauce; it wasn't too bad, but I wouldn't eat a whole sandwich of it. It's made from yeast extract. Overall, it's a very strange food...

This guy has a very exciting life. He used to be a pilot (for a Canadian airline I think) and was in the military. Now he lifeguards for the state of MN at Flandreau State Park (after he said that all the kids recognized him) and occasionally for the city of New Ulm. When he's not doing that, he judges white water kayak racing, sometimes for the World Cup and even the Olympics! And he's acted in various things (extras in movies we haven't heard of), even in Crocodile Dundee! He was part of the airplane scene, except his section got cut. Bummer. He just got back from England from doing a callback audition to be on Dr. Who!

How'd I get in touch with him? The library! One day, in passing, I mentioned to the librarian that I am teaching geography this year and I like to have guest speakers from each continent visit my class. She knew of this Australian gentleman who frequents the library and thought he'd be a good speaker. So she passed on my name/number the next time he came in! (I gave her permission of course).

We've missed two days of bells due to speakers, so the 6th graders convinced me to have bells Friday to make up for lost time. That's actually a good idea; we haven't practiced our new song yet and we perform in less than a month...

1 comment:

  1. Hello Emyrose. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest. It was interesting to go through your blog post and came to know your desire to get a guest speakers from each continent visit your class. I would love to visit your class if I happen to be in your country in the near future. God willing I will be visiting United States in 2019 May and will be so glad to stop by your library and visit you. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your grownup siblings to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing time. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar WAnkhede.

    ReplyDelete