Monday, September 17, 2018

Huff and Puff and Blow Your House Apart!

In other news, we got two new fish over the weekend, male guppies: Apollo and Zeus. So many name suggestions this time! The names I liked best were Marco and Polo. Ha! Clever. Maybe next time we get fish we'll use those names. The darker one is Apollo, named after the guy who got too close to the sun (my kids decided that).


We're under a severe thunderstorm warning for the next 10 minutes... the storm is moving fast (about 60mph) with winds gusting the same. This round started at 4pm, but earlier today it was totally sunny!

Noon recess was hot and sticky. It all changed at 1pm when the 1-4th graders played outside at recess. The wind came up all of a sudden, the sky was brown with dust being blown up by the strong gusts. Kids screamed and almost got blown over. It's the fastest I've ever seen the wind come up! The 7-8th graders were fascinated by the sudden change. We paused our mini-experiment to watch the air front move in... and connected it to today's topic: diffusion! Awesome!

Once we switched from science to study hall, they convinced me they should be allowed to go outside to pick up all the toys and cones before they blew away. So they went. From the window, I saw one of the 8th graders holding a section of a plastic play house the preschoolers like to play in. The wind was so strong it literally blew the house apart! Wow! They didn't carry everything inside, but they put all the movable pieces inside the wooden triangle tree house.

For a while it rained really, really hard. I didn't realize it was going to rain today, so I left my jacket at home... since the storm's moving fast, it will hopefully be done raining by the time I go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment