Monday, February 4, 2019

Catch-up

School ended up being half two hours late. That means one bus came at the normal time (because the affiliated public school was on time) and the other bus came two hours later than usual. Thankfully, New Ulm was the one on time, so I could delay my arrival at school by a half an hour. It was not great roads, but I made it all right.

That didn't give us much time to accomplish all the things I wanted to today... Only four of my 12 were here at 8:30. I wouldn't let them take the morning off like they wanted to. They had to work on homework or read (not play in the gym... I caught a few of them sneaking off to shoot a few baskets). Then a truck came with the new desks for 1-4th grades. Since there were only a few 7-8th graders at school, Mr. E enlisted my students' help. Whew! It got them out of my hair and not complaining for a while. And they had fun messing with the boxes and delivering the desks. So I ended up with a productive morning, teacher-wise.

After the rest of the students trickled in (some on the bus, some dropped off), we did devotions and whole group reading. We didn't get to do our spelling groups because this week we have Junior Achievement. A retired man from church does ours. Today's lesson was all about making withdrawals from a bank account. They learned vocab words and played a giant board game. I think they might be working on that tomorrow too since it didn't seem like they finished in the time allotted.

Our afternoon was fairly normal, although I did make a plug for I Love to Read Month and the Edible Book Festival we're hosting at the end of the month. Then we started a new science book... physics. Most of them weren't sure what physics was, but after discussing further, we realized that there's a lot of questions they have about the way the world works that fall into the physics category. So they should be a good audience!

No comments:

Post a Comment