Friday, February 22, 2019

Teacher Swap Storytime

We're still plugging away at I Love to Read Month! Today was teacher classroom swap to read a story or two for 15min at the end of the day. At our meeting last night, we drew classrooms out of a hat to see who we'd read with. I got the kindergartners! They were so fun.

In the morning, my students asked which class I would read to. When I told them, some of the girls said, "Oh Miss H, they are going to love the voices you do!" So when I read to the kindergartners I made sure to do some of my silly voices. I picked three books so they'd have a choice: The Day Dinosaurs Came With Everything, This is a Moose, and Grumpy Bird. They voted which one to read first and unanimously picked the dinosaur one.

I set the others down to begin the story and one of them looked shocked. "But Miss H, you didn't let us finish voting!" Yes, but you all picked this one. "But we want to finish voting!"

So I held up the second book. No hands went up. I held up the third book. Three of the four hands went up. I said, "But you already voted once!" They replied, "Yes, but you can read that one second." So we did. We read the dinosaur one (they loved it). They wanted me to read the moose book second, but I didn't think we'd have enough time, so we read Grumpy Bird instead. Afterwards, they wanted me to read it again right away. But it was time to go home, so I left the books with Mrs. E in case she wants to read them with her class another time.

Mr. D read to my students. He'd asked for some recommendations yesterday and I set aside a few I hadn't read with them yet. He read one of his own choosing and one of mine. I think it went well.

More storms this weekend. The youth group tubing event Sunday has been postponed already. We're having a different event tonight at church, make your own pizza and game night. I have no clue how many kids we're going to get. Probably not that many the way it sounds. Sigh. Oh well. It is what it is. I better wrap up my school things and head over so I'm there ahead of any kids that show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment