Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Career Day

Ms. Frizzle, the teacher from the Magic School Bus, is who I dressed up as today. I wore my skeleton shirt, dino bone necklace, and planet bracelet along with a little green lizard beanie baby (borrowed from Mrs. E) pinned to my shoulder. And my hair in a bun. Not too crazy for church tonight!

My kids played Apples to Apples for our fun game this afternoon. They wanted to play the Snake Oil game again, but I let the 7-8th graders borrow it. A surprising number of my kiddos hadn't played it before! We got quite a few rounds in and had a great time playing. 

We also finished War Stories and started The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise. I am so excited to read this new book. I listened to it this summer and loved it; the author's voice is so unique and the writing style is beautiful. It also talks about some hard stuff like loss of family members and dealing with grief, but in a good way. My kids are already making a ton of predictions. 

One boy who has been gone on vacation this whole week had asked us to record our read-aloud sessions. We've faithfully been doing that, except I almost forgot today... One of the 6th graders said, "Oh, we shouldn't record today. We should say we forgot, just to drive him crazy because he can't hear the end of the book." The end of War Stories was pretty dramatic! 

After we settled on which new book to start, my kids picked the next two we should read. They are so cute. They were justifying why they wanted to read Dead Man's Rapids next ('we need something a little lighter and funnier after reading the war book, before we read another historical one'), followed by All Four Stars ('because we've been putting it off for such a long time Miss H'), then maybe The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe ('but we should actually save that for the end of the year Miss H, because we've already read it, so then if we can't finish it before the end of school we'll already know what happens'). These kids are thinkers aren't they?! Man, I love them so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment