Friday, March 26, 2021

Home Ec Class

Mr. E loves to grill. He's been grilling for almost 365 days in a row. Today, he taught the 7th graders 'home ec' by having them grill 'Dan dogs' on his grill (hotdogs spiral cut, wrapped in cheese, then wrapped in dough). My class got to sample the results. They were delicious. Their class also deep fried cheese curds and grilled banana boats (bananas in the peel, chocolate chips, and marshmallows). We got to sample the curds but not the bananas. 

Mr. E wanted to have plenty of time to grill, so we flipflopped our class to the morning. That made today's schedule a little wonky, but it worked out well. Sometimes it's fun to mix things up. 

Religion class was on the prophets of Baal and Elijah, always an interesting story. We started our new read-aloud book today, All Four Stars. I didn't have enough heavy-duty plates to start our next art project, so we did both science and social studies today.

Perhaps the most exciting thing from today was the reply to our author letter! My class loved Coyote Sunrise and wanted to write a letter to the author saying what they love about his books, so we did. A lot of them had personal favorite parts they wanted to share, so I had each of them send me what they wanted to say and I compiled it all in one letter. Then I sent it off to Dan via his website and he wrote back right away! Here's his response:

Hello Ms. Heintz, Ridley, Noah, Alex, Arya, Chloe, and Anna! 
Thank you so much for such a lovely, thoughtful email. I'm so glad that you enjoyed Coyote's and Mark's stories, and I really appreciate all your kind words. I can tell you're great readers (and have a great teacher!)! Your email totally made my day. 
Thanks again, so very much. I hope you find lots more books you love just as much - or even more than! - mine!
Dan Gemeinhart

No comments:

Post a Comment