Thursday, January 13, 2022

Snow Day Tomorrow!

It's pretty rare a snow day is called before the snow even starts falling, but that's what happened tonight! We're in a winter storm warning starting midnight tonight through midnight tomorrow (Friday). 5-9 inches of wet, heavy snow in the forecast. And then 30 degrees Saturday and Sunday. What a strange winter. We kind of knew the snow day was coming, so I had my kids bring home a book to read, just in case.

I'm wrapping up my lesson plan outline for next week and all I need to do now is decide if I want to spend the day catching up on school stuff or if I want to read/cook all day. Cooking is for sure; there's a whole 30 pie crust recipe I'm going to make into pasty pie. I'll use my new Christmas present food processor to speed things along, but I still think it will take a while which is why I haven't had the chance earlier this week. 

I restocked my library pile last night and brought a bunch to school for book commercials. Man they love book commercials. I should try taking a few books I've had for a while off the shelf and advertise them to my students. I bet I'd get takers. This time there were three books everyone wanted to read. So we drew sticks and wrote down the order. I told them to prioritize the library books over our class books since they have a due date (and some of them are books I haven't read yet and want to). There's still a big stack at home... maybe I should chip away at it tomorrow...

Other than that, school was pretty typical. We put our plants away from the PTL plant tour. The parent's were impressed with our garden. They laughed at the "don't touch" signs my kids added to their pots. "Do they really think we're all going to touch their plants?" a parent incredulously asked.

The 7-8th graders finally finished our first read-aloud book of the year (Escape From Chernobyl) and started our next one, The Unteachables by Gordon Korman, a favorite author of ours. They aren't 100% sold on the book yet. I'll win them over by pg50 though. That's my rule. Read at least 50 pages to give the book a chance before you abandon it. It's worked well so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment