Thursday, December 8, 2022

On The Edge

I have a 6th grader whose voice is dropping. I've never had that happen before! It either happens over the summer after 6th grade or sometime while they're in 7-8th grade. He commented on it first and said he hates it, how his voice is cracking. 

Today was an emotion-filled day at ILS. Lots of tears and near blow-ups. Is it the full moon? Changing weather? Parents on vacation? Trouble at home? Maybe all of the above... 

A 6th grade boy and a 7th grade girl got into it after school over putting stuff away in the gym shed. They yelled at each other and hit each other. With cones, without cones. I don't know. All reported by various classmates. 

Then a 6th grade girl was in tears because she brought a colorful sports bra for the game and her jersey doesn't cover it up all the way. The other girls were making mean comments about it and she was afraid of what the boys would say. So she stayed in my room (the girls' 'locker room') for fifteen minutes trying to be brave enough to go out into the gym. I had some safety pins in my desk, so we pinned her up a little bit, which made it better. My one 5th grade girl, bless her heart, was such a help. She voiced a second opinion, "I think it looks fine now. No one will notice." And said she'd go with the basketball player out to the gym when she was too nervous to go by herself. Whew.

Glad we got that sorted out. And glad tomorrow is Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment