Monday, April 11, 2016

Student Teacher

The student teacher's first day went well.  She came a little early today and did an introducing activity... she made a list of 10 interesting things about herself to share with the class, then had them do the same so she can get to know the students a little better.  She also ate lunch with us and played volleyball with the girls at recess.  And of course observed our science classes today.

It's a bit disconcerting having a student teacher watching.  When other adults observe, I'm a tad self-conscious, but not too bad because most likely these people won't be too critical of the way I teach a lesson.  But student teachers on the other hand, they've been in classes with professors who tell them what not to do and what not to say... and I'm pretty sure I do/say some of those things.  I remember when I did clinicals, I subconsciously critiqued the supervising teacher, thinking, "Oh, that must be her catchphrase, it's the fifth time she's said that phrase today." (Something I know I do!)  Or, "Oh, she responded to a student who didn't raise his hand."  Little things like that.  Anyway, it's not a terribly big deal, I guess I just want to make a good impression.  And she's probably thinking the same thing.  So I shouldn't worry about it any more.

The 5th grader who's been gone for a week finally came back today.  She gave me a magnet she got from the Painted Desert... a place I've always wanted to go!  How thoughtful. :)  Now we just need to get her caught up on all her tests she missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment