Friday, March 10, 2017

Flag Day

Quite a few kids wore their country's colors today! My kids got most of their stuff turned in on time; just one more to say memory work and one more to turn in her science fair written report... She forgot to print off a fixed copy and her mom couldn't email it to me until later than I can stay at school, so they'll need to be to the FAF before the 8:30am deadline tomorrow.  She has younger siblings who perform in the morning, so they have to be down in Northrup by 9:00 anyway.

Winter Olympics went well. We got a late start because Mrs. E didn't want her kindergartners to ride the scooters since they haven't learned how to use them.  She forgot to tell me until right when Winter Olympics was supposed to start, so we had to do some last minute changes.  I made a note for the next time we do the Olympics so teams know that when they sign up for events.

One of my 5th graders got a little crazy during the dog-sled race.  One person (in this case, a 1st grade girl) sat on a scooter holding a jump rope while the 'dog' (the 5th grader) pulled her to the end of the gym and back.  He took off with a yank and she slid right off the scooter onto her bottom.  You could tell it hurt, but she got back on and they kept going... only to have her yanked off again.  You'd think my 5th grader would've learned his lesson!  They made it down and back (with a few more slip-offs), but their time was terrible, so we let them redo it with another team that hadn't crossed the red line the right way.  The 1st grader was hesitant to do it again, understandably so, but she agreed.  One of their other teammates offered to pull this time (a 7th grade girl) and I should've just had her do it.  The 5th graders assured us that no, he'd be much more careful this time, so we let him.  Not the best choice.  He started off nice and slow, no yank-offs, but he picked up speed and didn't slow down for the end... and she slammed into the wall of the gym.  There was padding on the wall, but still.  I doubt she'll ever get on a scooter again. :(

Aside from that mishap, it went just as it should have!

All I need to do at school yet is load up the boards/visual aids.  I need to stop at the New Ulm Vet Clinic to pick up some things for my farmer and then I'm going to a dinner hosted by a family from church.  They're new and wanted to have all the teachers over for supper.  I think only Pastor/Mrs. B, Mr. D, and Miss S and I will be there, but it should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment