Monday, March 6, 2017

Time Travel Day

Once again, my costume was not the best today. I had been thinking about wearing a dress I inherited from my maternal grandma (from the 50s), but since the forecast for today was in the mid-sixties, I thought I'd get too warm with the heavy fabric.  So I went with jeans, cowboy boots, and a red plaid flannel shirt: cowboy/lumberjack.  If I weren't running errands tonight, I would've drawn a beard on my face.  To get fancier, I braided my hair in pig-tales and threw on a stocking cap.  The stocking cap came off before school started... it was just too warm!

Not many students dressed up either; most claimed to be from the present! One girl who wore all black came up with a quick answer: "I just threw on clothes this morning, but I think I'm me from the future, at my funeral!" Kind of morbid, but you gotta admire her quick thinking.  We had a few pioneer girls, one little old lady, and a few girls from the 90s.

Winter Olympic sign-up went all right. Most big kids didn't complain too much... their reaction had been much less enthusiastic when I told them last week we'd be doing the Olympics again.  A lot of them let the younger students sign up for the majority of the events.  Hey, as long as they're not fighting about it!

Making the flag banners was fun for some and not-so-fun for others.  Most had easy flags to draw, but it's a lot of coloring!  The China team grew frustrated when all their red markers died not even halfway through their coloring... And that's when I had the idea we should've given them red paper and they could've cut out yellow stars... way less coloring.  Shoot!  Eventually everyone finished and we hung the banners above the bleachers.

All the art for the Fine Arts Fair is ready except for one student from my class.  She had a great project hanging up in the "Gumdrop Gallery", but she took it home!  And the other projects she hung up afterwards weren't nearly as good.  Today she worked on a project that I thought would do all right... She had to restart the project three times because she didn't get her lines right.  Finally she got the hang of it! But then she colored in an area that looked better without color and now it doesn't look as impressive.  I'm super bummed!  She hasn't finished coloring it, so she'll need to do that before we leave on our field trip tomorrow.  Cutting it a little close!  Mr. E is taking the art down to his principal's meeting tomorrow afternoon, but he's tagging along for the morning at the Young Writers and Artists Conference, so all artwork has to be packed up before we leave!  I hope she gets to school in time!

No comments:

Post a Comment