Thursday, March 16, 2017

Simple Machines

The 5/6th grade physics book doesn't talk about simple machines.  The general science book does a little, but I think the topic fits in better with our physics curriculum.  So I decided to quick add a simple machine lesson to our agenda for the week.  I found a hands-on lab online that has students build/use each of the simple machines, but I wasn't sure which supplies I'd need to buy.  I did know that I didn't have a wedge, so last night after church, (my farmer came up again, yay!) we went grocery shopping and I found some wooden wedges that should work.  I had forgotten to read over the lab supply list before we left, so I went off memory and hoped I'd have the rest in my classroom!

Surprisingly, it didn't take as much time to gather my supplies as I thought!  I had boards handy for another physics lab we do, a lot of the machines use a stack of books for the fulcrum or the ramp (we have plenty of those!), and I had some screws/screwdrivers in my desk drawer.  All I needed to grab were some spools from home (for the pulley and the wheel/axle).  We didn't have time to get to the actual building part of the lab today... we'll save that for Monday.  But everyone seemed to grasp the concept of simple machines very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment