Thursday, March 9, 2017

This Vs. That Day

Each grade picked a different "versus" to do in their classrooms:
No automatic alt text available.

Since I teach the 7/8th graders too, I figured I'd try to dress like all four things! (I talked over my master plan with my farmer and he thought I was just trying to cop out of making a decision...).  I suppose if I'm being honest that was partly true! But the biggest reason was I didn't have a whole outfit to fit the category; I just cleaned out my closet and got rid of my strange clothes... ahem, well, most of them anyway.  Still, here's what I actually wore to school today:

  • hair twisted in a bun on top of my head, two pencils shoved in (mathlete)
  • Hawaiian shirt with a red, plaid button up over top (islander vs. mountaineer)
  • sweat pants (athlete)
  • sneakers (mathlete)
I'd thought about wearing a jersey and flipflops (switching the islander and mathlete/athlete around) but decided it was too cold for no socks! 

Today was a mostly normal day. Miss S and I took the 5-8th graders to church at 10:30 to practice bells.  Last night they sounded FANTASTIC! Everyone was there and they all remembered to come up during the offering to play our second song.  The 5th graders were a little shaky with the tone chimes, but they sounded much better today... lots of nerves in front of an audience, I think.  Hopefully we play that well on Saturday at the Fine Arts Fair!  

My kiddos brought their science fair boards in today.  I don't know what it is this year, but it seemed like hardly anyone referenced the packet I sent home on what to include on the boards.  So many of them were missing stuff! Important stuff too like their hypotheses and conclusions!  I think I got everyone straightened out though... I know we're not going to get all blue ribbons, probably a bunch of reds and whites.  Grr... But maybe I'll be surprised!

This afternoon we painted rocks in the gym. Mrs. E put that activity together and it turned out really well. She had a table set up for each teacher to supervise (with a festive yellow plastic tablecloth covering it).  Everyone brought their own paintbrush.  Before we went to the gym to claim a table/rock, Mrs. E went over how to clean a paintbrush and etiquette of sharing colors of paint (there were small cups of each color on each table).  She gave each student a plate with his/her name on it to set the rock after painting.  After they dry, we'll take them back to our classrooms and decorate them more with words or fancy things.  A lot of kids asked what we'll do with the rocks.  Take them home, I suppose, or put them around the prairie garden at school.  Maybe that would stop the naysayers about our wild garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment