Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Growing

I'd heard somewhere that you can put the bottom of a head of lettuce in water and it would regrow part of it.  Last week, the cook put the bottom of a head of romaine lettuce (Joe's favorite) in the food bag.  I found an empty container, poured water in, and set the lettuce by the window to see what would happen.  It's growing!  There are about three inches of new growth at the top.  It's not too big yet, but over time I think it'll grow even more.  I can't remember if you're supposed to put anything else in the water or not... right now I'm leaving it plain.

We did BINGO prizes today.  More of them had their bingo sheets and reading notebooks filled out ahead of time, but there were still some who waited until the last minute.  Oh well, fewer prizes to choose from!  Everyone except one student got a bingo this quarter. Yay! The one who didn't get one read over five books, but they didn't fit in the spaces in a row, so I gave her a piece of candy.  One student still isn't back from vacation and I have a feeling he didn't get a bingo either.  Still, 8/10 is the highest percentage I've had so far!  This quarter's bingo sheet is similar to last quarter's with the exception of some of the 'fun' categories: a book with a red cover, a book by an author with the same initial as you, a book recommended by Miss H, a Redwall book (a series that doesn't get read enough!), a book with no words, and of course the various genres.  I gave them an added challenge; read a book from every genre.  If they complete it by the end of the year, I said I'd get them a special prize. Not sure what that is exactly!  If anyone has (cheap) ideas, I'd love to hear them!

I have a bunch of tiny prizes that kids would probably like, but they don't want to waste their one selection on such a tiny thing.  I should make grab bags with some of the little things in there... I thought about doing it today as I packed up the prizes, but ran out of time.  We're doing a science lab tomorrow and I wanted to set out the supplies tonight so I don't have to do it tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be a big day; we're serving the Lenten supper before church. Our menu is: chicken fajitas, rice, fresh fruit, bars (and chicken soup). A parent is doing most of the prep work so all I have to do is coordinate.  The past two years we've run out of fajita meat; I hope we'll have enough!  She's buying extra meat this year, so we should be good.  After school today I dug out last year's free will offering and menu signs so I don't need to reprint them. Mr. E typically helps us get everything set up after school.

No comments:

Post a Comment