Wednesday, April 18, 2018

No Snow

Yes, we had school today. I didn't even have to scrape anything off my car this morning. Snow began to fall around 10:00, and it still is snowing, but nothing is sticking to the ground. Lots of schools south of us were called off though! I heard that at the very north part of Iowa got seven inches in about two hours. Yuck!

The 7/8th graders were supposed to go tour MLHS today, but they didn't have enough drivers, so they decided not to go. Well, they were cancelled today so it's just as well! It left me in a bit of a bind though, planning-wise. At the beginning of the week I didn't expect to teach them Wednesday, so my student teacher wasn't either. We're learning about early American cultures like the Mayas, Incas, and Aztecs, so I thought why not have a movie day? We started watching The Road to El Dorado today and have about a half an hour left. The movie features people who share a culture similar to that of the Maya and the Olmec.

This morning when I told them we'd be watching a movie, they were excited to not have normal class, but then they thought it was an educational movie and got less excited. Only one of them had seen it before, and he started to talk about it... that got everyone excited again.

Miss T taught the 5-6th graders again. The best part of her lesson was when she had them guess what decibel different sounds were. She rubbed her hands together, flipped pages in a book, played the recorder, and sounded the alarm on her phone. Students had a chart on the board that gave common examples of sounds at specific decibels. It was neat! I tucked that idea away for future years...

No comments:

Post a Comment