Friday, April 13, 2018

Storm

Oh boy, the storm that's coming is already causing waves!

Although it rained last night, it was gloriously sunny on my way to school. By snack time, the skies were dark and ominous. We went outside to look at the clouds, but the wind and lightning chased us back in. Soon after, a student reported that his mom in New Ulm said it was hailing there. So I went back out to put the cover on my windshield, just in case. Sure enough, about ten minutes later little pellets of ice sprinkled the ground. Our classroom got so loud with the ice plinking off the metal roof.

The poor preschoolers were traumatized. So were the 1st and 2nd graders. Miss S called my room a half hour before reading buddies were supposed to start saying her class was in hysterics (I could hear sobs in the background) and she couldn't get them to calm down, could we do reading buddies any sooner? Yes, yes we can.

It was her turn to host, but in the interest of keeping kids calm, we had them join us in our classroom. My class did a fantastic job cheering them up. We pulled the shades down, had one light off so it was cozy instead of scary, set beanbags and blankets and books in friendly places... by the end of reading buddies everyone was back to 'normal' or at least more under control. Whew!

The hail lasted about a half an hour, then it turned to rain. This afternoon the rain stopped, but I'm sure round two is right around the corner. I'm headed to Fulda for my youngest brother's 18th birthday. Dad has a spot in the machine shed ready for my car! I really hope we don't get the 10-15 inches predicted... 0 would be a nice number!

No comments:

Post a Comment