Monday, April 9, 2018

Two Hours Late

The roads weren't as bad as I thought they'd be this weekend, and although it snowed steadily all afternoon Sunday, we only ended up with about an inch of snow on the ground. We had a half two-hour late start this morning; only New Ulm called it. Nicollet was on time, so I had to be to school by the normal hour (8am). Then we had to entertain ourselves until the New Ulm bus arrived with students at 10:20.

The Nicollet bus kids were actually really excited to be at school for two hours with 'nothing' to do. They worked on their pinatas, started spelling and handwriting for the week, ate snack, talked to each other... they had a good time.

The pinata glue is pretty smelly for some reason (it's just normal Elmer's glue with water mixed in), so they wanted me to turn the Sentsi on. I thought they should move it closer to the pinatas so the smell would be covered up more. The girl who moved it accidentally broke it in half; it fell while she tried to unplug it. I super-glued it back together. We'll see if it works still.

Our student teacher's first day was today! It was a bit of a boring start since the 7/8th graders had a work day. She didn't engage with them a whole lot, even though I invited her to talk to groups. Maybe she's just shy with them. The 5/6th graders didn't make a great first impression... they blurted and giggled and talked almost the whole time I tried teaching them social studies today. And they knew they were being bad! They just didn't practice self-control. We had a talk at the end of the day and a lot of them said they'd try to be better tomorrow.

Lots of kids were out sick today. I had two down in my class. Two others had been sick over the weekend. Both Mrs. E, Miss S, and Ms. F (and her family) had been sick this weekend. Plus a bunch of students in other classes. It's an epidemic! I was fine this weekend, but this afternoon I didn't feel so good... I'm feeling mostly better now. Hopefully that's all it is and I don't get any worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment