Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Pick, Pick, Pick

It was a lot quieter in my room this morning. One student was out sick (a normally talkative one), and they were all trying harder to be quiet after our talk yesterday. They did well! I hope they can keep it up the rest of the week.

A student asked if she could have a private talk with me sometime. This is the second time in two days she made that request. Yesterday was because some classmates were picking on another student on the bus and at school. She wanted me to give them all sentences every time they made a rude comment. The trouble is, they'd never get anything else done. Plus sentences won't solve the problem. I suggested she talk to her friends and let them know their mean words made her uncomfortable, but she thought they'd turn on her and pick on her next, which is probably true.

Today she brought it up again. Again, she wanted sentences. I said I'd talk with the students making the comments and probably contact their parents too. That might have a better effect than the sentences. Gah, emailing parents about stuff like that is never fun. Thankfully, the parents have been receptive to it (so far). Hopefully it will make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment