Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Quiet

Today was Miss T's first lesson with the 5-6th graders. She did pretty well, though she was really tough on herself. The lesson was about light, light waves, and how we see color. It was a tough topic to teach. In the end, the students did understand the concept we wanted them to, but it took a while.

My class was a lot quieter and more respectful today! We had another talk about voice levels this morning during Daily 5 and man, it was super quiet the rest of the morning. I wonder if having the lights off helps. This is the second day in a row we've worked with both lights off. It's still light enough to see, but maybe the dimness helps eliminate the other distractions?

There's always a big crowd that likes to sit in the reading corner to work. Usually they get chatty. I didn't have to meet with as many people today, so after I wrapped up my meetings, I took a book and read with the reading corner group. All chitchat stopped immediately and everyone refocused their energy on their work. We had some very productive rounds that way. Plus I got a little reading in myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment